The Barbados Port Inc. is primarily responsible for the provision of marine services (pilotage, towage and mooring) to vessels in Barbados’ territorial waters, particularly berthing and un-berthing of vessels in the Bridgetown Port; regulating marine activities in the Careenage and the Shallow Draught; port state control inspections response to maritime incidents; and general compliance with international pollution prevention and safety regulations.
Accordingly, the Marine Services Department provides the following services:
- Pilotage (compulsory except for naval vessels, training ships and small craft) and tug attendance (compulsory for vessels over 1,000 tons or 168m in length).
- Mooring and unmooring vessels
- Provision of potable water
- Fire-fighting, pollution combatting, rescue and salvage operations
- Marina operations
- Provision of aids to navigation